Pages

Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Gearing up for Thanksgiving

Good morning I realize that I have had very little time to set down and catch up on my blogging. We have relocated to the Northwest Arkansas area. This will be our first Thanksgiving in the new home. The transition was a little rough, but things are settling down in time for Thanksgiving.

There is a tradition on social media that is a beautiful display of thanks. Individuals daily will post what they are most Thankful for throughout the month of November. I did not participate, but I would like to take a brief moment to share what I am most Thankful for.



1. I am most Thankful for My family. Patrick is great dad, great provider for our home, and really a great husband to me. I am so thankful for Josh and Izzy. I enjoy so much of our time together. It's not all easy, but we try to have fun.


2. I am thankful to know the Lord. The strength and peace that he brings to my life on a daily basis is my saving grace. I know that I would not be able to do what I do, day in and day out, without him. I am thankful that he is just one breath away when I need Him.



3. I am thankful to live in America. Even in the craziness that is being played out in the news and other outlets of media, I am thankful for America. It is because of our freedom that people are so free to share their grievances. If we were an oppressed nation there would much less being voiced, I'm sure. I am thankful for the freedoms that I have and those that fought for those freedoms. It is easy to marginalize those freedoms when we did not pay a price for freedom. The bible instructs us to not forget the ancient landmarks. I don't want to forget the price that was paid today.


4. I am thankful that I was given the opportunity to become a mother. I smile as I write this out because it truly brings me so much joy. I love being a mother and being here with my kids. I was chasing Josh around the house yesterday. He was so clear and so much fun to be around. He has had a rough couple of months with all the transitions, its been rough on him. Yesterday was a reminder of who my son really is and what his baseline. Izzy was helping me in the kitchen. She loves to help out in the kitchen. I spend a lot of my time in the kitchen most days. It takes a lot to keep up with the meal schedules in our home so most of our days are hanging out in the kitchen. Both of my kids have above average skills in the kitchen and I am confident it is from our daily investments together in the kitchen that has made all the difference.




While I could go on and on, probably for the end of the entire month, but these are my top things I am thankful for.

If you are an autism family I will praying for you throughout the holiday season. I know how difficult it can be to change up the daily routines and adding people into your life that you only see this time of year. I get it. I know it is hard. It is for us. But challenge yourself, challenge your family to get out and see your extended family. You know just how much your family can handle, so even if it is just for a small moment of time, show up say hi and if you have to leave right after, so be it. Make an effort this season to connect. It is important, but I also want to encourage you to create a meaningful experience for your kids too. If that means fixing only the foods your kids will eat and calling that Thanksgiving, go for it.

Dad's pull away from the game and find your kids and make an effort to connect with them doing what they enjoy. Take them to the park to swing or purchasing an extra can of shaving cream and spreading it out on the craft table and play in it with your kids. If this is what is meaningful to them, then do it. Enter their world as much as possible and strive to engage with your family. Your days are numbered make the moments count.

Mom's try to relax and enjoy your day. I will you often prepare beyond just the cooking. Social Stories you prepared to make the day a success for your kids. You may have really worked hard to make sure that your kids had like foods that were within their diet restrictions. No one even notices your hours of prep time you put in for a successful day. I want to say thank you to you. I know that you work so hard being "that autism Mom" for your family. Happy Thanksgiving to you and I give you permission to relax and enjoy this day too. :)



I'd love to hear about how you celebrate Thanksgiving? Do you have special traditions? How do you survive the challenging obstacles? I would love to hear about it.

Thanksgiving is a time for family. Enjoy your families despite all the differences and quarks. Love one another and bless one another.


Shelli Allen, My Kids MOM
thatautismmom.com

No comments:

Post a Comment